aMAZE: The Twists and Turns of Getting Along
When you go on this journey, you'll find your way through the twists and turns of relationships, learning how to deal with pesky friendship problems and how to be a true friend to others.
This is a 10-session Journey, but could be modified to fit your troop’s needs. Find more information about this journey here.
- Practice relaxation at a yoga studio
- Visit possible places where girls can do their take action project
- Links to specific community partners coming soon!
- Visit a maze (corn, labyrinth, or other)
- Hold a movie night – watch various movies about friendships & cliques, many mentioned in girls’ books
- Restructure the Journey and complete some of the activities at camp or on a retreat instead of during troop meetings
- Have the girls interact with older girls who can provide a new perspective.
- Physically make a box/kit of skills they learned – let girls decorate; then write skills or examples on postcards
- The book talks about watching the documentary “Sister to Sister: The Darker Side of Friendship.” It is available for download on GSUSA’s website
- Girls this age are avid users of computers and the internet – page 110 is an internet safety pledge. It would be a good idea to review this when working on the Journey
- This is a more personal discussion than some of the other journeys – therefore it should be emphasized that this is a supportive environment while working on the Journey
- Remember to get council and parent permission before having discussions on more sensitive topics
- Each girl should have a copy of the Journey book
- The green boxes throughout the Facilitator Guide have great additional programming options